Interested to know about the government and politics in Delhi? Read on to know all about the political situation in Delhi.
Delhi – main political center of India
Delhi is a special Union territory in India. It is the biggest political and administrative district in the country. New Delhi, the capital of India is situated in Delhi. It is the main political center of India. It houses the important political buildings and administrative institutions of India like the Parliament of India, Rashtrapati Bhavan and the Supreme Court of India. It has seventy legislative assembly constituencies and seven Lok Sabha constituencies.
The Parliament of India
The Parliament of India is the highest legislative body of the Indian federal government. This circular building is a superb architecture and consists of 144 granite pillars in its outer circle. It is situated at Janpath road near the Rashtrapati Bhavan. It is the most important political building in India. It houses
- The office of President of India
- The Lok Sabha or ‘The House of People’ and
- The Rajya Sabha or ‘The Council of States’.
- The Library Hall.
The Rashtrapati Bhavan
The official residence of the President of India is the Rashtrapati Bhavan. This palatial building is reminiscent of old British and Indian architectures. It comprises of four floors and 340 rooms in all.
Fast facts about government and politics in Delhi
- New Delhi consists of ten constituencies of the Lok Sabha (lower house of the Indian parliament) and 273 assembly constituencies.
- The civic administration is looked after by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
- The Delhi High Court has complete legal authority over the city of Delhi. It consists of two lower courts:
- 1. The Sessions Court – It handles the criminal cases.
- 2. The Small Causes Court – It handles the civil cases.
- The National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCT) constitutes of three local municipal corporations. These are:
- 1. The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD),
- 2. The Delhi Cantonment Board and
- 3. The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC).
- Any member of the Lok Sabha or the Rajya Sabha is commonly referred to as MP or Member of Parliament.
- The members of the Lok Sabha are elected by direct election.
- The members of the Rajya Sabha are voted to power by the members of the State Legislative Assemblies.
- The politics of Delhi is jointly managed by the Union Government of India and the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi.
This in brief, is all about Indian government and politics.