Planning a trip to Gurgaon during the Commonwealth Games 2010? Know all about Gurgaon and Commonwealth Games 2010 before you pack your bags.
Gurgaon is one of the major Indian cities. Located in the Indian state of Haryana, it is one of the sattelite cities of Delhi. It is a part of the National Capital Region (NCR) of India. It is one of the major industrial hubs of India. Thousands of visitors are expected to visit Gurgaon during the Commonwealth Games 2010. And the city is slowly preparing itself for this.
Commonwealth Games and Gurgaon
The 2010 Commonwealth Games is to be held in Delhi. But that has not stopped Gurgaon, a satellite city of Delhi, to dress itself up. The city has lined up several extravaganzas to make its tourists salivate for more. These include
Gurgaon Shopping Festival 2010
It is to be held in Gurgaon for 36 days, from 27th September to 1st November. It plans to make shoppers out of the tourists who are supposed to visit Delhi during the 2010 Commonwealth Games. The Commonwealth Games is scheduled to be held in Delhi from 3rd October to 14th October, 2010. The Gurgaon Shopping Festival 2010 will not only be related to shopping. It will also be packed with loads of cultural and entertainment events.
The shooting event of the 2010 Commonwealth Games will be held in the Kadarpur Village in Gurgaon.
The Queens Baton Relay of Commonwealth Games will reach Gurgaon on September 29. Tourists can catch outstanding players in the area running with the baton on that day.
Gurgaon and the 2010 Commonwealth Games
The Haryana government is trying to make a tourist destination out of Gurgaon and Commonwealth Games 2010 provides it the perfect platform to do this. The government is taking several steps to ensure tourist comfort in the coming days.
- With increased migration into the city, Gurgaon has lately been suffering from hapless traffic situations. This is set to improve. The state government has already shelled out Rs 770 crores to develop roads and improve connnectivity.
- The Delhi Metro Railway service has recently been extended to Gurgaon. This has automatically reduced a lot of traffic. The rapid underground transport system has already proved to be a boon for commuters in Gurgaon. A new eight-lane expressway has also been created. It links Gurgaon to Delhi. Tourists can easily reach Gurgaon from Delhi and catch the shooting event at Kadarpur Village.
- Four bus depots and 72 bus shelters are being constructed in the city. These will soon become functional. An inter-state bus terminus will also come up on a 20-acre area at Panchgaon in Gurgaon.
- Seven multi-level parking lots are being built in several key areas in Gurgaon. These will ease the parking problem greatly.
- The Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) is collaborating with several companies from the Gurgaon Industries Association. Their mission is to beautify all green belts along the city parks and roads. Tourists can expect to be treated to a green Gurgaon. A plantation campaign is already on the way to make Gurgaon greener before the Games begin.
Hope you liked reading about Gurgaon and Commonwealth Games 2010. If you are going to attend the Commonwealth Games 2010 Gurgaon must be in your list of hotspots.