He is the ‘Nawab of Najafgarh’, the one and only ‘Veeru’ of Indian cricket time. Virender Sehwag is one of the best batsmen in recent times. He is the hero of Delhi who has the world in his fists.
Virender Sehwag Background
Sehwag was born on 20th October 1978 in Delhi, India. Born in a Jat family, he was inclined to cricket right from his early years. He played the sport throughout his school years. He grew up with the dream of playing for the national team.
Early cricketing career
Sehwag’s cricketing dreams came true when he grew up. The 1997-98 season saw him debuting as a first class cricketer for the Delhi cricket team. Thereafter, he got selected for many national-level cricket teams. Sehwag’s raw talent and hard-hitting technique quickly brought him into the limelight. His ODI career began in 1999. But he performed poorly. In 2001, his 58 runs and taking of three wickets against Australia in Bangalore made India victorious. He was made the Man of the Match.
Then on, Sehwag has taken part in many national and international cricket tournaments. His career saw fast ascents as well as descents. Many cricketing experts wrote him off time and again. But his patience, hard work and dedication to the game spoke for him.
Virender Sehwag Achievements
The achievements of Virender Sehwag are too many to list. Here are a few of the prominent ones:
- He was the winner of the Arjuna Award in 2002.
- He holds the record for scoring the maximum runs in a single day by an Indian.
- He is the third batsman in Test cricket history to score two triple centuries.
- In 2009, he scored the fastest century in ODI cricket as an Indian.
- He holds the record for scoring the highest number of runs by an Indian batsman in Test cricket.
- He has scored the fastest triple century.
- He has scored 11 consecutive hundreds in Test cricket.
- This right-handed batsman is the first Indian to score 300 runs in a Test Innings.
- He has scored 319 runs in a test match. This is the highest individual score in test cricket by an Indian.
- He was named “Wisden Leading Cricketer of the World 2009”.
- In 2010, he was awarded the ‘Padma Vibhushan’, a prestigious state honor.
Career till date
- Till end- 2009, Sehwag has played 69 Test matches.
- He has taken part in 205 One Day International (ODI) matches.
- He has scored a total of 5757 runs in Test Cricket. This includes 18 half-centuries and 15 centuries.
- His run score in ODI matches totals to 6592.
Virender Sehwag Nick-names
His colleagues and the media have bestowed various names on this powerful opening batsman. These are:
- Nawab Of Najafgarh
- Prince of Najafgarh
- Sultan Of Multan
- Sehwag owns a vegetarian eatery named ‘Sehwag Favourites’.
- He does charitable works for the UNICEF.
Career at present
Presently, Sehwag is one of the best cricketers in the Indian national cricket team. He is also playing for the annual IPL cricket tournaments. He is most expensive player of the team ‘Delhi Daredevils’. Virender Sehwag is also an icon player of the ‘Delhi Daredevils’ team.